Total Cost of Project: $33.00 (which includes paint and canvases)
I wanted an abstract art piece for our dining room. In stores the prices were outrageous, I was looking to spend anywhere from $80-$200 for artwork just in our dinning room. I wanted something different and something that "popped out at you." After looking around in multiple stores I decided to sketch out my own ideas. I started off by creating this 4 canvas art piece. I really like the colors at the time, then after months of looking at it on the wall I realized two things, one, I am not into this "electric blue" anymore and two the art piece seems a little small for the wall.
The concept of this piece is really interesting and I learned it back in one of my studio classes in college. I wish I saved my pictures on how I did this but I will do my best to explain how I came up with this:
- I took my picture out of a magazine and I analyzed the picture and found 4 areas that I thought were pretty neat looking.
- I boxed off those 4 areas (with a perfect square since my canvases were perfect squares.
- The idea of boxing the areas off is that you will be transferring each box to one canvas. So really what helped me out was I used one sheet of paper per image and sketched out the image. Now you are able to see the image in a bigger picture.
- I then sketched out each image on the canvas. This is not a free hand painting, if you can do it great! I found that there was just so many little details that I had plan out before painting it.
- Once your images are sketched out you can begin painting!
When we moved into our new home, I thought this piece would be perfect for this wall in our Master suite. The color was not appealing to me anymore so I ended up changing it.