College Themed Door Wreath
Over the years I have accumulated TONS of Mardi Gras beads, its to the point now where I am just about ready to chuck them. I found this on Pinterest and I fell in love with it! Whats funny is the door in the picture is the same color of our front door so I already knew how the final project would look. This was my inspiration, I only used the beads as the base of my project.
While there were no directions on this project I had to figure them out for myself, it took some time, but I closely studied the picture and came out a process that works.
- Hot glue gun
- Black & Gold Mardi Gras beads (or your own team colors)
- Styrofoam Wreath (Check out the sizes at the store to see what would look best on your door)
- Primer spray paint
- Black satin spray paint
- Wood letters
- Black Acrylic paint
- Gold Acrylic paint
- Picture hanging wire
- Ribbon that coordinates with colors
- Polyurethane Spray- clear sealant
I had the gold beads so I was set there, I had to create the black beads for myself. I used purple beads and sprayed them all with primer (let dry) and then sprayed them thoroughly with the black satin spray paint. This took a few days to do.
It took me different techniques to try and figure out how I was going to get the beads to stay on the wreath, you will see in my picture I attempted several different ways. I finally came up with twisting every two beads so that the black & gold strings would become one long bulky strand. It gives it more of a 3-D look which is what I was going for.
Then I started filled the black & gold strands on the foam wreath like I was putting together a puzzle. Some strands I had to cut down and I had to fill in here and there. Another tip TRY and not burn yourself with the hot glue gun. I burned myself multiple times and it was not fun.
Here is a picture showing a little more circular definition to the wreath.
Next it was trying to figure out what lettering fit the wreath the best. I purchase two different sizes of lettering and modeled it on the wreath to see which one I liked best. I was leaning more toward the larger letters and with the help of some family, the vote was unanimous...Big letters it was!
Next step was painting the letters, I went through alot of color concoctions in my head and I finally just ended up painting the letters gold and outlining in black. I wanted to keep it clean & simple but I wanted the letters to "pop" out.
After everything was in tact, I sprayed it down with polyurethane clear sealant. This will help keep it from rotting and fading.
To finish off the wreath, I added a bow, which adds just the right amount of glitz I wanted.
We are officially ready for football season to begin!
- Log in to post comments